Why Accepting Rachel Dolezal's Flirtation with Blackness is Racist

What if I woke up this morning and decided to be a Jewish Holocaust survivor?  What is the likelihood that so many Americans would find my declaration of self-identity so "cute" that I would even be invited on the "Today" show to spout my pathological lies? People associated with this ethnic experience would be enraged as they should be. And why is that? I would have turned their experience into a gabble of meaningless lies and caricatures. Being Black is not a frizzy wig and skin bronzer. It is a lived experience. And quite frankly, given the loyalty and tenderness that black families show one another in the face of adversity, just watching the sheer ugliness and lack of love this Dolezal woman and her family display towards one another, would be
the penultimate tip off to the fact that she has never lived the Black experience.

Comments