So-Called Christians Who Preach Hatred & Bigotry are Actually Satanists and Maybe They Deserve Our Candor

I'm not a theological person. But every now and then the labels that help us make sense of the world get so twisted around, that people start calling "up" down and "rotten water-buffalo meat" prime rack of lamb.  Alas, this is not useful.

Just the other day, I read the comments of recently fired GOP communications director, Elizabeth Lauten.  She posted a rant on Facebook, deriding the Obama daughters for presumably dressing like they were bar hopping. When the woman's vile remarks met with intense criticism Ms. Lauten announced that "after many hours of prayer"  she realized how hurtful her words were and issued a generic apology to no one in particular.  I reflected on her words.  Not meaning to be facetious, I really must ask: who was she praying to? Why did those who commented assume she was a Christian, directing her supplications to God?

I have no interest in judging people. That's not my point.  But I do find it useful and necessary in the dangerous world in which we live to see reality as clearly as I possibly can.  If someone blows up a building, killing innocent people, I call that person a terrorist, even if he calls himself a saint. If someone devotes him or herself to the Bible and derives from that exposure behavior steeped in hatefulness and bigotry, it would be safe to assume that I'm dealing with a Satanist rather than a Christian.  And maybe we would all be better off knowing how our behavior is perceived by others.  

Comments