My Son is in Middle School: Should I Lock Up the Kitchen Knives?

School Violence
Not that I wish to brag or anything, but. . .  my son is the handsomest kid in his middle school. Of course that's my opinion. But he is popular. I'm sure I'd get no equivocation from others on that score. He loves his friends, has a kind  heart, is emotionally generous, and gets good grades.  My question to the FBI is this.  Should I lock up the kitchen knives? 

This may sound ridiculous to those who are not parents.  But I'm nervous after just putting down an article about a plot that the Minnesota police just foiled. A seventeen year old had written a 170 page manifesto, laying out plans to launch an attack, which would start by killing his parents and sister, then mowing down everyone in the school and allowing the police to take him out. According to the NBC News report:

A Minnesota teenager who admired the Columbine killers was charged Thursday with 10 attempted murder and explosives counts in a plot to shoot his family to death and then kill himself and "as many students as he could" by blowing up a school, authorities said.
Police said John David LaDue, 17, of Waseca, was less than two weeks away from carrying out his remarkably detailed plans to bomb Waseca Junior/Senior High School, about 75 miles south of Minneapolis, when he was arrested Tuesday.
Police said they found three fully functional bombs, other bomb-making materials, gunpowder, numerous firearms and hundreds of rounds of ammunition in LaDue's home and in a rented storage locker.
 This is just days after the sixteen year old stabbed the teenage girl to death for not going to the prom with him, and the Pennsylvania teen stabbed twenty two people with a butcher knife,, even though his lawyer swore he came from an Ozzie and Harriet family.   Of course that's the lawyer's job, to come up with asinine comparisons.  But since I've never met any of these kids on the rampage, personally, their parents, or their lawyers, I'm  beginning to freak out.

So, I open the question to any and everyone who might have any expertise at all  to offer  on the subject.  Would a normal, mentally balanced child go to school one day and start stabbing his classmates, or spraying rifle bullets across the gymnasium floor?  I assume the answer is no. And yet,  why haven't criminologists come up with a profile of the type of person who would do this?  My preliminary research on the subject has only turned up brief discussions about young white males feeling a sense of entitlement, who were not necessarily bullied. Who knows what that means.  

   Are the parents of school shooters mentally unstable, or at least on the borderline or just regular average parents?  The more of these incidents we are subjected to as a society the more lockjawed have law enforcement agencies and criminologists become  about what exactly we're dealing with.  That in and of itself may be telling us something. But all these school shootings and stabbings have gotten me out of the mood for  crossword puzzles so I would appreciate a few hints if they have any.    Bytheway, just don't tell us it's the music they listen to or the games they play. Since everyone of their generation listens to the same music and plays the same video games, you will have to do a little bit better than that.

Comments